Tony Buzbee announces a large number of cases against Deshaun Watson have settled
Tony Buzbee announced on Tuesday that 20 cases against Deshaun Watson have settled, and now only four cases remain. The timing of these cases getting settled makes a lot of sense, considering the reports last week about the NFL pushing for a year-long suspension.
Tony Buzbee announces in a statement that all but four of the civil lawsuits against #Browns QB Deshaun Watson have been settled pic.twitter.com/Ye3HoQi05h
— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) June 21, 2022
“Today I announce that all cases against Deshaun Watson, with the exception of four, have settled,” plaintiffs Buzbee said Tuesday. “We are working through the paperwork related to those settlements. Once we have done so, those particular cases will be dismissed. The terms and amounts of the settlements are confidential. We won’t comment further on the settlements or those cases.”
As far as punishment for Deshaun Watson, many believed it would be handed down over the next few weeks before training camp begins. It will be interesting to see if Watson settling these cases lessens his punishment from the league, (we were hearing a full year suspension last week) and if he tries to get more cases settled before camp begins.
At this point, though, his four remaining accusers plan to see this through in court. “Ashley Solis is one of the heroes of this story. Her case has not settled and thus her story and that of the other three brave women will continue. I look forward to trying these cases in due course, consistent with other docket obligations and the court’s schedule,” Buzbee said.