RUNNING WITH THE ONES?

Early leader in Houston Texans quarterback competition revealed

Houston Texans CJ Stroud
Rookie CJ Stroud is playing with the second-team offense at OTAs. Photo by Alex Bierens de Haan/Getty Images.
GettyImages-1489509617

The Houston Texans are still months away from opening the 2023 season against the Baltimore Ravens, but that is not stopping fans and media from talking about the quarterback position as the team gets into voluntary organized team activities, or OTAs.

Houston opened its first OTA session to media on Tuesday and while a lot of the work on the field was as basic as vanilla ice cream, it was quarterback Davis Mills that was going first in the team’s reps ahead of No. 2 overall pick C.J. Stroud.

“I’m competing for that starting job,” Mills told reporters on Tuesday. “Since I’ve been drafted in the NFL, I have been in a competition. I don’t think anything is going to change. It’s been great getting to know C.J. so far. He is an extremely hard worker. It will be good to see how we go out there and compete every day and make each other better.”

Before sounding any alarms or creating the headlines, it is still way too early before any unofficial depth charts get released. Almost every player top to bottom on the Houston roster is learning the quirks and intricacies of the new offensive and defensive schemes.

For both Stroud and Mills, there is a lot to be determined between now and Sept. 10 when the Texans kick off the new year.

“I’m loving it man,” Stroud said. “This team has been very [accepting] of me, very honest and very transparent. What I love about it is nothing has been given to me. I have to earn everything, which I love, so it has been like that my whole career. It is nothing new.”

While Texans fans might have penciled in Stroud as the team’s QB1 since NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell called his name in Kansas City, inside the building at NRG Stadium there is a lot more nuance to naming a starting play caller.

The focus for both quarterbacks right now is not on who is going first in OTA drills, but rather improving each day. Mills said he has been focused on himself and putting a lot of work into addressing his weaknesses.

Stroud said right now he wants to learn as much as possible including what his receivers like, timing on routes and absorbing Bobby Slowik’s offense methodically. Both play callers also have the benefit of learning from veteran Case Keenum.

“It is a blessing,” Stroud said. “It has been something that I definitely knew that I needed it. Just that guidance and that confidence that [both Mills and Keenum] had because they have both played in the league and have been starters. They have been very helpful.”

With first-year head coach DeMeco Ryans tasked to oversee everything revolving around the Houston Texans, his advantage is that players seem to respect his perspective as a former NFL player and his experience as a former Texan himself.

“He knows what comes with playing here and I mean he has just been great,” Stroud said. “Very vocal. He is really funny too, so it is cool to have a coach that is not all stuck up all the time or super mad. He has been amazing. Very transparent, communication has been great. He’s going to be a great head coach.”

When Ryans speaks, players listen, and his youth doesn’t hurt either when it comes to connecting with the current players. Coming out of Tuesday’s availability, it appears that Stroud is already two feet in Ryans’ vision for the Houston Texans.

“I think I am a natural-born competitor, so that is what I am here to do,” Stroud said. “But at the same time, being a great teammate is more important. So that is what I have been on just trying to embrace the relentless swarm that coach Ryans wants us to be on. That is what I plan to do. Just be a great teammate, be a great leader, be vocal [and] be confident.”

Most Popular

SportsMap Emails
Are Awesome

Listen Live

ESPN Houston 97.5 FM
Jon Singleton is on the move. Photo by Logan Riely/Getty Images.

First baseman Jon Singleton was released Tuesday by the Houston Astros.

Singleton had hit .171 with a .239 on-base percentage, no homers and two RBIs in 17 spring training games. The 33-year-old batted .234 with a .321 on-base percentage, 13 homers and 42 RBIs while playing 119 games last season.

The Astros signed Singleton to a $10 million, five-year contract in 2014 just before he made his major league debut, and after he had served two suspensions in the minor leagues for positive marijuana tests.

He batted below .200 in 2014 and 2015 before getting sent to the minors. He spent the entire 2016 and 2017 seasons in the minors and then tested positive for marijuana a third time.

Singleton requested his release from the Astros after receiving a 100-game suspension for that third positive test. He left the game before returning to organized baseball in the Mexican League.

He got back into the majors in 2023, first with the Milwaukee Brewers and later with the Astros.

Singleton agreed on March 8 to a contract paying $850,000 while in the major leagues and $425,000 while in the minors.

SportsMap Emails
Are Awesome