Joshua Jordan Mock Draft 2.0 with commentary from NFL.com's Lance Zierlein
Now that all the big moves of free agency have taken place, it's time to take a look at how the first round of the draft may play out. I'm probably one of the few people that don't have a projected trade in the Top 10. That's because I think the Broncos stay put and take their franchise QB at pick No. 5. My mock draft is a bit different from some the national guys like Mel Kiper Jr. and NFL.com's Lance Zierlein. And I certainly don't have their resume, but I do have the luxury of talking football with guys like Lance, and have co-hosted draft shows in the Houston market the last few years. If you want to see how Lance has the first round shaking out compared to mine, you can read his mock draft here. Also, check out Lance's thoughts on a couple of my picks in the video above. Below is my Mock 2.0, and I'll continue to update it every Thursday up until draft day.
1. Cleveland Browns- USC QB Sam Darnold
The Browns finally get their franchise QB. I'm not buying the Josh Allen rumors yet.
2. New York Giants- NCST DE Bradley Chubb
The Giants find a replacement for JPP.
3. New York Jets- UCLA QB Josh Rosen
The Jets grab their QB.
4. Cleveland Browns- Penn St. RB Saquon Barkley
Cleveland finally has some talent on offense, and they get the best player and best QB in the draft.
5. Denver Broncos- Wyoming QB Josh Allen
Many have the Broncos trading out here, but I think they stand pat and take their future QB.
6. Indianapolis Colts- Virginia Tech LB Tremaine Edmonds
The Colts add an incredible playmaker to their defense.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Ohio St. CB Denzel Ward
The Bucs get the best corner in the draft.
8. Chicago Bears- Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson
The Bears get maybe the best player in the draft and protect their young QB.
9. San Francisco 49ers- UTSA DE Marcus Davenport
The 49ers need some pass rush and they get it with Davenport. I'm a little concerned with this pick after talking with Lance.
10. Oakland Raiders- Washington DT Vita Vea
Gruden gets some help for Khalil Mack on the defensive line.
11. Miami Dolphins- Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick
The Dolphins take the best player available and roll with Tannehill another year.
12. Buffalo Bills- Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield
The Bills don't even have to trade up into the Top 10 to get their QB.
13. Washington Redskins- Florida State Safety Derwin James
Washington needs a physical presence at safety.
14. Green Bay Packers- Louisville CB Jaire Alexander
The Packers go back to the well and select another corner in the first round.
15. Arizona Cardinals- Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey
The Cardinals upgrade their putrid offensive line.
16. Baltimore Ravens- Alabama WR Calvin Ridley
Ozzie Newsome adds the best receiver in the draft to help his veteran QB. He'll be a nice pairing with possession WR Michael Crabtree.
17. Los Angeles Chargers- Georgia LB Roquan Smith
The Chargers get a steal at pick 17. Smith falling is more about the position he plays.
18. Seattle Seahawks- Iowa CB Josh Jackson
Pete Carroll and John Schneider get their replacement for Richard Sherman. Jackson has size and terrific ball skills.
19. Dallas Cowboys- Alabama DT Da'Ron Payne
The Cowboys run up to the podium to pick their new defensive lineman.
20. Detroit Lions- Texas OT/OG Connor Williams
The Lions get some help on their offensive line. Williams can play tackle and guard.
21. Cincinnati Bengals - UTEP OG Will Hernandez
The Bengals line was awful last year.
22. Buffalo Bills- UCLA OT Kolton Miller
The Bills are thrilled to see Miller available.
23. New England Patriots- UCF CB Mike Hughes
The Pats replace Butler at CB.
24. Carolina Panthers- Boston College DE Harold Landry
Julius Peppers can't play forever.
25. Tennessee Titans- LSU DE Arden Key
The Titans need pass rush and they address it with Key. He can win one-on-one matchups.
26. Atlanta Falcons- Florida DT Taven Bryan
Dontari Poe left in free agency so the Falcons add a DT.
27. New Orleans Saints- Alabama LB Rashaan Evans
The Saints add a playmaker on the second level.
28. Pittsburgh Steelers- Alabama S Ronnie Harrison
He just feels like a Steeler.
29. Jacksonville Jaguars- Michigan DT Maurice Hurst
Calais Campbell is getting old, so the Jags add some depth on the defensive line.
30. Minnesota Vikings- Georgia OG Isaiah Wynn
The Vikings spent a ton of money on Kirk Cousins, so they add some help on the line to protect him.
31. New England Patriots- Boise St. LB Leighton Vander Esch
Belichick adds to his horrible defense again.
32. Philadelphia Eagles- South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst
The Super Bowl champs add another toy for Carson Wentz.