Aug 1, 2022, 4:12 pm
STOOTS ON TEXANS
The Houston Texans had a lighter workout just a few days after their preseason win. Here are 11 observations from the practice.
1. Despite using the word “scrimmage” to describe the workout earlier in the week, Lovie Smith’s team took it easy on Tuesday. There were some fun one-on-one drills and a few team sessions, but it was one of the lighter workouts.
2. Davis Mills was tossing some deep passes in one-on-one work today. He completed a few strikes downfield, including one to Phillip Dorsett and one on the sidelines to Nico Collins. It will be interesting to see when the deeper passing shows up in a game. The Texans took a few workouts when training camp started to showcase that, this may be a similar situation for game reps.
3. Chris Moore had a nice catch in the above-mentioned drill. He beat Jonathan Owens soundly. Moore is a factor in the wideout room, but his eventual role is hard to tell right now.
4. Preseason star Dameon Pierce had a nice run in a team session. He darted through a big hole on the right side of the line. Credit to A.J. Cann for opening it up, it looked like the veteran did some work to spring the rookie.
5. Marlon Mack and Rex Burkhead should not be forgotten. The veterans are still a factor in the rushing attack, especially with Pierce never having had huge workloads in his college career. Mack and Burkhead each had a nice run Tuesday.
6. Max Scharping bullied Ross Blacklock on a rep in one-on-one work. It will be interesting to see between Scharping and Justin McCray who ends up playing more left guard in the second preseason game.
7. Kenyon Green was at practice but didn’t practice again. He is dealing with a knee injury.
8. Justin Britt and Roy Lopez were a fun watch. The veteran center bested Lopez in an encounter but then moments later Lopez won himself a round. The defensive line and offensive line worked to about a stalemate in the one-on-one session I watched. Rookie Kurt Hinish had a nice win over Scott Quessenberry.
9. Tavierre Thomas had a nice interception. He stepped in front of a pass and would have taken it to the house for a score. Thomas has had a quiet camp in my opinion, but the flashes of one of the better slot corners have been there.
10. Kyle Allen was back at work after Covid forced him to miss a little time and the preseason game. Allen connected with rookie Teagan Quitoriano for a nice chunk play. The rookie tight end has started to show a little more as he has been practicing.
11. Just one more workout before the next preseason game against the Rams. Lovie Smith explained there would be a reveal on playing time expectations, so perhaps there will be some more clarity on how much the team will showcase Davis Mills and if Derek Stingley plays in the preseason.